Eating Disorders

At Temple University, we recognize the need for support and education around the issues of weight, disordered eating and food preoccupation. Eating disorders can affect people in different ways. Individualized treatment involves on the expertise of a team of clinical specialists at Student Health Services and Tuttleman Counseling Services.

What is an eating disturbance or disorder?

An eating concern is unhealthy relationship with food, weight or your body that may get in the way of your other priorities or become overwhelming.

Signs of an Eating Disorder

  • Being overly concerned about your weight and how you look, fear becoming “fat.”
  • Feeling guilty or like a failure when you eat certain foods or more than you planned.
  • Exercising compulsively or feeling terrible if you miss a workout.
  • Purging behaviors (e.g., vomiting, laxatives or diuretics, and enemas) or taking “fat-burning” supplements to “get rid of” calories and lose weight.

​​What to do if you think you may have an eating disorder.

Make an appointment with a counselor at the Tuttleman Counseling Center. You can also make an appointment with the nutritionist or a healthcare provider at Student Health Services.

Many people believe they can manage their eating concern without help. But the most successful treatment involves support from a team of professionals, such as a physician, a therapist and a nutritionist.

What to expect during an appointment with the nutrition counselor for disordered eating.

The nutrition counselor

  • meets with students and acknowledges their food issues and concerns in a relaxed and confidential session;
  • works closely with medical and psychological services to provide comprehensive care, as needed;
  • listens to each student to personalize nutritional goals, and explore strategies for healthier eating behaviors; and
  • focuses on the development of a healthy relationship with food and normalized eating.


Call Student Health Services at 215-204-7500 to make an appointment with the dietitian.

How to approach a roommate or friend who may have an eating disorder.

Try to do it in a supportive, nonconfrontational manner. You may find the following resources to be helpful.  

Counseling and support is available for students concerned about friends, roommates and family members who may be struggling with an eating problem.


To arrange an appointment, call 215-204-7276 or visit the Tuttleman Counseling Center.

Campus Resources

Student Health Services
Phone: 215-204-7500

Tuttleman Counseling Services
Phone: 215-204-7276